My weekend was spent with friends and family in Portland. Eating and drinking at amazing restaurants, drinking delicious coffee, and watching my cousin get married made for a perfect weekend!!
It's not rocket science.
Let's think about nutrition in terms of three different yet connected circles.
Aka, the quantity of your calories.
Not just calories, but protein, carbohydrate and fats. And not just macros, but amino acid profiles, fibre and sugar molecules, and saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
Are you eating enough, depending on your priorities
For your body
For your health
For your goals
Aka, the quality of your calories.
There are about 30 vitamins and minerals that your body can't make and relies on you to eat. If you don't, it can't do things properly.
Supplements can support you here. Not replace foods, but 'supplement' foods.
You don't actually eat 'macros' or 'micros', you eat food. And you choose the foods that you eat to obtain energy and nutrients.
You can select better quality foods, rather than processed foods.
You can create meals from a variety of foods, not just the same old, same old.
You can eat foods that you like and that like you.
You could just focus on one component alone. Or you could be efficient and integrate all three.
There's a middle point here. And it is not goal specific. You can find that happy medium whether you're dieting, bulking, training, travelling, competing, resting, in season, off season or on the couch.
No matter what you’re doing to your calories, you should be asking yourself the same question.
Am I eating enough of the foods that are adding nutrients to my body
With Halloween right around the corner, and your house likely fully stocked with incredible candy, I want to remind you that it’s perfectly OK to eat some of it.
I’m not here to argue whether or not sugar is bad for you. But I’m here to remind you that eating a bit of candy is not going to ruin your progress.
If your kid goes trick or treating and comes home with the most incredible assortment of candy ever assembled, by all means help them get through it. East some and stash the rest. You’re not a failure for eating some candy. You’re not weak. It’s normal, and you’re human.
Nutrition is all about moderation. One day of eating candy (or week, for that matter) is not going to ruin everything. Even if you find yourself eating candy every day for the next week, in the grand scheme of things, that’s nothing. In fact, that’s only 2% of the entire year. 2% is not going to ruin the other 98%
Remind yourself what’s important to you. Will the memory of eating some Halloween candy with your kids at the end of the night while watching scary movies be a more important memory than the extra calories Or maybe you simply haven’t eaten a Twix in ages and really want to enjoy one again. Or mayyyyybe you just want some damn candy. That’s perfectly okay!
What are the top 3 candies you’ve always hoped for on Halloween